Wednesday, August 21, 2013

{WWRW} Red Velvet Cupcake Murder

Red Velvet Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen #16)
Linking up with Housewifespice for What We're Reading Wednesday.  I've been in a reading rut...then an unexpected errand brought me a treat.  Hubby needed a book picked up and I only had one baby with me, so it was meant to be....finally some fluffy/non-book-club-assigned reading to end my summer right.

Imagine my delight when I discovered 1) A favorite author had a new book out  2) My library branch had it in stock!

So, it only took me a couple days of ignoring everyone and everything around me to find out what Hannah Swensen has been up to in Red Velvet Cupcake Murder.  She has the unlucky habit of finding murdered people.....and there's generally at least one scene where she becomes imperiled as well.  In this latest installation, a nemesis resurfaces and it appears she brought more trouble with her than intended. 

They can be a little predictable, but they're always good, clean, fun.  No smutty-smut to muck up a fun adventure.  Rare to find in a "grown-up" book these days.

I was a little disappointed that Hannah hasn't yet made any decisions about her love life, which was kinda the cliff-hanger from the previous book.  The author seemed to gloss right over her choices in this book, maybe because a wedding would be the end of her sleuthing days?  Hard to say....Joanne Fluke seems to put out about one a year of these books, so I shouldn't have to wait too long to find out whether it's the policeman or the dentist. 

Pick this up (or rather, really start with the earliest one your library carries) if you're looking for a nice, light, but intriguing read.  I generally figure out who's looking guilty about two-thirds of the way through, but it doesn't usually dampen the fun of discovering 'whodunnit'. 

Here's the list I found of Joanne Fluke's books on her website
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder
  • Strawberry Shortcake Murder
  • Blueberry Muffin Murder
  • Lemon Meringue Pie Murder
  • Fudge Cupcake Murder
  • Sugar Cookie Murder
  • Peach Cobbler Murder
  • Cherry Cheesecake Murder
  • Key Lime Pie Murder
  • Candy Cane Murder
  • Carrot Cake Murder
  • Cream Puff Murder
  • Plum Pudding Murder
  • Apple Turnover Murder
  • Gingerbread Cookie Murder
  • Devil's Food Cake Murder
  • Cinnamon Roll Murder
  • Red Velvet Cupcake Murder
Did I mention the books contain recipes?  No?  Stock up on butter, sugar and flour before you sit down to read, you're going to want a cookie when you're done!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome positive, supportive sharing in this community. God bless!