Monday, February 27, 2012

Like a Stack of Pancakes....

Ever have those nightmares that you're at a final exam and you've never been to the class?  How about the one where you have to do some really specific task (like perform surgery) and you've got no idea why everyone is counting on you to do it? 

That feeling of, "holy cow, how am I going to do this?" is starting to creep up on my when it comes to getting our house ready for baby.  I've made peace with the fact that we're not going to have a third bedroom or perfectly organized everything the day we get home from the hospital.....but I'm starting to feel like I haven't made ANY progress towards getting the attic finished, the basement organized to take on all the stuff we're currently storing in the attic.....or even keeping the house tidy. 

Recently, my elderly neighbor (93!) told me that 8 people used to live in our house (it's 740 sq ft).  That got me thinking about what expectations we have for our homes now compared to generations past.  Older generations knew how to make do, my generation doesn't seem to have a knack for that.  We don't know how to fit people into close proximity....we need mega mansions and AT LEAST 2 bathrooms. 

How did it get to be this way?  How did we start equating space with happiness?  At what point did it become not ok to stack kids up like pancakes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome positive, supportive sharing in this community. God bless!