Monday, April 18, 2011

Nutrition, schmu-trition

So, I've started reading a book, Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition.  So far, I'm only a couple chapters in.  What I've read seems to be what a lot of other nutrition books have to say, and in all fairness, it has a very common-sense approach of 80/20, meaning eat 80% healthy and don't worry about the other 20%.

That said, the list of things I can no longer eat includes pretty much every one of my favorite foods, including:
  • Dairy (only allowed in small amounts)
  • Eggs (only allowed in small amounts)
  • Potatoes
  • Lunch meat
  • Ham
  • Bacon
  • Sausage
  • Fatty meats of every kind (so long, liverwurst!)
  • Fruit juice
  • White sugar (which I have already eliminated a lot of)
  • White flour (which I've already eliminated even more of)
  • Brown sugar
  • Honey (should be used sparingly.....the ONLY sweetener I have left!)
  • Artificial sweeteners
So, without flour or sugar, that's most yummy breakfast foods.  Without bacon for my one egg I'm allotted per week, I can't even have a carb-free special for breakfast. 

Here's what I'm going to do......I'm going to get all the whining out and then treat this as an experiment to share with all of you. 

In the next month, I am going to:
  • Take high doses of synthetic hormone (3 times what I started on)
  • Stop eating my favorite foods
  • Add cold medicine to my daily routine (apparently it's supposed to help!)
  • Be a trooper and not whiney
  • Be kind to my husband and daughter even when it feels like my skin is on inside-out with all the hormones
  • Treat myself to Sundays off of diet restriction
  • Walk or run 6 days a week
I'll be a guinea pig and pass along my failures, successes and results to all those friends I know are in the TTC category with me. 

Lent is drawing to a close.  The sacrifices I have made through Lent will continue in a large way with this new diet however.  Forward any prayer requests I can focus on when I'm offering up a run or a piece of processed perfection and know that sacrifices are being done for your special intention :)

I am holding close and offering up continually those families going through a similar struggle.  This summer will mark 5 years of TTC for us and I pray your wait be shorter.....perhaps you don't have quite as much to learn about patience as me either :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome positive, supportive sharing in this community. God bless!